Thursday 6 August 2015

Why I Love Egyptians (part 1)

It's been exciting here in Cairo this week, because the new sections of the Suez Canal have been opened by President Al Sisi, two years early. The celebrations have been building up all week and there are lights, decorations and flags everywhere. Flag sellers abound; even the Palestinian children who are currently staying in the hostel have small Egyptian flags, and our own apartment block is decorated with lights. Horses and camels even trotted down Talaat Harb last night, in a sort of mini-parade, and everyone is going to Tahrir Square to celebrate.

It's infectious. I feel pretty excited myself. Egypt is, relative to Western Europe, a poor country, and has also suffered devastating political turmoil since the revolution in 2011 (and for many years prior to that, arguably). Despite this, all the Egyptians I have met over the years are proud to be Egyptian and feel a sense of national pride that the country has achieved this incredible success with the canal. I really can't think of anything like this that could happen in the UK that would generate this kind of enthusiasm and national pride. The Royal Wedding?

I know the nuances and layers of Egyptian culture and society are still a mystery to me, and I might be being naive. I can't help but feel though that the enthusiasm and celebrations for the opening of the canal and the national pride it has generated isn't like the insular nationalism I've seen taking a foothold in the UK in recent years. It is just pride in the achievements of a nation and it has given everyone a boost. I'm happy to be here and be part of it. Sleep is looking unlikely tonight though since the whole of Egypt seems to be going down Talaat Harb to get to Tahrir Square - very noisily!

No comments:

Post a Comment