Thursday 13 August 2015

Egypt is the perfect country for owls

It's 3am again. I'm on the balcony listening to the beautiful cacophony of the street dogs fighting. I have worked something out about Egypt that should have been obvious. Because it's so hot during the day, if you can postpone activities that require energy until later in the day when it's cooler, you do (hence the street dogs fighting at 3am I imagine). This is why Cairo is still alive all through the night, and most of the shops stay open until midnight at least. I really love this.  I often feel that morning people (larks) look down on evening people (owls) because they think we just can't get up in the morning. Whilst this may be true, one of my heroes, Gretchen Rubin, points out in her book Better Than Before that most of us are predisposed to be one or the other. I've got a fridge magnet that says "all the coffee in Columbia won't make me a morning person". I'm an owl. So in this respect at least, Cairo is pefect for me.

I am going somewhere with this, honest. I found an advertisement on Craigslist looking for volunteer English teachers, and I went today to see them. They offered me paid (paid!) employment. I still can't believe it now. I'm so happy about this. After how I felt yesterday, it was a huge boost to get the first job I was interviewed for. I'm pretty sure I'll take it after some reflection - the only drawback is that it's not close to where I live in Muqattam at all. But hey, I used to commute 2.5 hours a day to and from Manchester and I had to drive myself then. So, back to the owls and larks thing. This school opens at 11am. 11am! How civilised is that! For the first time in my working life I might have a job where the hours suit me. No more getting in last! Well that might be a tall order but when you're teaching you pretty much have to arrive on time I suppose. Once I've made my final decision on the job I'll let you all know. And I promise I won't base my decision purely on the fact that they open at 11am!

And on the subject of coffee, I STILL haven't found a coffee machine and am reduced to drinking instant! It's a nightmare.

I think another trip to Cairo Festival City Mall is required. Even if I can't find a coffee machine, I can get a hit in Starbuck's.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment