Monday 23 November 2015

There is no fun in doing nothing...

...when you have nothing to do. It was Jerome K Jerome who said this, and I have come to realise just how right he was. Regular readers will know that I gave up my job at the school in case I got a job quickly or had to go anywhere for interviews. Until now, I had no idea how important it is for me to have too much to do, in order to achieve anything at all. It's amazing how little you can achieve when you've got plenty of time to achieve it. I've got plenty I could be doing. I'm trying to write one book, and I'm thinking of writing another which will require lots of research. Some parts of the apartment need a good clean - for example the cupboard in the bathroom needs to be cleaned out before I can put the clean towels in it. I have had hours spare where I could have done this - but I haven't. I'm also looking for a job back in the UK, and, in theory at least, I'm trying to learn Arabic. Absolutely none of these projects is progressing in any way that could be considered 'progress'.

So, when I get to the end of the day, what have I spent all that time doing? Well a lot of it is sleeping. I know I like my sleep, but even I'm shocked by how much time I can waste sleeping. Or in that semi-doze state where you're not quite asleep and not quite awake. I spend a lot of time on the internet, doing nothing particularly useful. I check Facebook. I play Words with Friends, Pointless and Alphabetty Saga. I watch YouTube videos of my favourite Strictly Come Dancing dances. I eat too much and drink too much tea. I wander to the shops to buy more fruit and somehow chocolate ends up in my basket too.

So I decided to take some action today. I applied for four jobs. I have researched learning a language online (I found italki - supposed to be brilliant) and I also bought a course on how to write creative non-fiction. Of course, this latter purchase may just be another form of procrastination, after all if I'm doing a course on writing, it means I'm not actually writing. I also did some cooking. Yes! Real cooking! I made a stew. It's good to have a sense of achievement.

I also seem to have signed up to attend about 16 Christmas Bazaars. Given that Egypt is a predominantly Muslim country, it's amazing how many of these are happening. There's the German one, the Swiss one, the European one, the CSA one..... I think it might be an idea to start prioritising Christmas Bazaars, but it looks like my Christmas shopping isn't going to be an issue. I'm also going to a Thanksgiving dinner! And a book sale. There is such a lot to do in Cairo, it's amazing really.

However the best thing that happened today is that my best friend in Cairo asked me if I wanted to go for a coffee this week. This is the person who is largely responsible for how rich my life has become here in Cairo. Which is one of the primary reasons that I don't want to have to go and work somewhere else. Sigh.   

No comments:

Post a Comment